Is your asset management spreadsheet ready for the future?
Starting today can help reduce that time and begin the process of preparing for an asset management implementation. There are seven recommended pillars for hardware and software asset management that can help an organization better their tracking process, regardless of how it’s being done today. These best practices help to define, organize, allocate-name, benchmark, and structure stakeholders to properly manage this process.
7 Pillars of Asset Management:
- Breadth: 500 remote employee laptops = 500? Are your #’s accurate? How often are reports generated and audited?
- Depth: 4GB model laptops still have 4GB of memory installed? Accurate specs. inventoried, configured, secured, and deployed
- Ownership: accurate asset owner / cost center allocation – reclamations, who do we chase? Tight integration with HR’s onboarding, lockout, and termination process can greatly improve this function
- Naming Conventions: uniqueness of records, tags, and identifiers that allow for quick identification of a CI (configuration item). Naming conventions published, yet still flexible to allow for mergers and restructuring (i.e. not naming a device based on its current location/user)
- Performance Metrics: business plan metrics that show value – monthly/quarterly. Security reports – no activity in 90 days. Maintenance/leasing costs – age of hardware
- Major Process Areas: hardware, relocation, and replacement requests – employee on/offboarding – reclaim/redeploy – disposal/recycle. Management approval and support critical here
- Stakeholders: finance, security, procurement, project, and operations teams
Asset management is a must have IT process, not a nice-to-have business function. Building an ecosystem that includes all stakeholders (minimizing silos) is critical to success. Security benefits too by allowing more devices to be patched, managed, and supported. The improvements are real and also enable sound decision making outside the technical spectrum.
Dataseti can provide the technical and business expertise to make this transition faster and with less internal resources. Please reach out today to schedule a free consultation with one of our sales implementation specialists.
-Justin Webster, Sales Engineer | Consultant